Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Help! I'm Insecure

I became a Christian when I was a college freshman at the University of Michigan. Shortly after giving my life to Christ I was walking down the hall in my dorm when I overheard my name mentioned. Naturally, my ears perked up and I walked a little slower to hear what was being said. It was the voice of my resident adviser on my hall. She was speaking to another classmate about me becoming a Christian. She said, "Oh, she needs Christ in her life because she's so insecure. But I don't need that God stuff. I can handle my life pretty well."

I walked into the room just as she was finishing her sentence. Nervously, I told her she was correct. I am insecure and that for the first time I could put my heart, faith, and trust in Someone who would not fail me. That was 24 years ago.

On my own I'm still insecure. I suspect we all are to some degree That is what faith in Christ is all about. Putting our trust and confidence in the only One who can strengthen us and give us the ability to parent and educate our children.

Insecurity can derail a homeschool mom quicker than just about anything else. Lingering doubts about doing enough and whether the children are learning can make us all question ourselves and our calling to home educate. The confidence comes when we realize we cannot do this on our own.

Jesus said, "Apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5) But scripture also teaches that in Christ I can do all things. (Philippians 4:13) When doubts and insecurities creep in don't give in to the notion that you are not cut out for this. Persevere and trust the Lord resting in the idea that HE loves your children more than you do. I hold on to the scripture from Isaiah that says "Your sons shall be taught of the Lord and great shall be the peace of them." (Isaiah 54:13)

Place your insecurity at the feet of Christ and begin to walk with confidence because of faith in HIM. Steady and slow will be the pace but the one day mighty will be your testimony.

No comments: