Thursday, May 19, 2005

Have A Minute, Leave a Prayer

"Have a penny, leave a penny. Need a penny, take a penny." Those little cups are near every cash register these days. The penny doesn't seem to be worth that much anymore.

What do you usually do when you see a penny lying on the ground? Do you pick it up? I must admit, many times I don't. I'm just to busy to take the time to stop. After all, it's only a penny. But what if I were out of money and I came across that same penny? Well, that would be a whole 'nother story. Of course I'd pick it up. And I'd probably do a quick search to see if there were anymore close by. Each one becomes like a rare silver dollar. The value of the penny hasn't changed but how much I value it does.

That was an analogy a friend of our shared with my husband a few months ago in regards to time.

Often, we waste precious minutes in our day because we think we have a unlimited supply. We know we really don't but we act as though we do. So we fritter away our time in frivolous ways thinking they'll be time later to catch up on the important stuff. (There was a popular song years ago by Harry Chapin that tells the story so well.)

But what if you find out your supply isn't as unlimited as you once thought. The value quickly changes. Each minute becomes like a rare silver dollar. Priceless.

Perspective changes everything.

The friend who shared this with my husband had just found out he has terminal brain cancer. He found out last December and is not expected to live more than a year. Today, he is going in for his second surgery in 6 months. They cannot stop the growth but they are hoping that they can buy him a little more time with his family. Each day they can give him is priceless. He doesn't have many more left. He is a homeschool father with 8 bright and talented children.

So if you have a minute to spare, I ask you to spend it in a prayer for John, Christi, and their family. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. And maybe the prayer you say today will give him a few more minutes to spend tomorrow.

No comments: