Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Elaina's teachable moment

I woke up this morning with a pounding headache. All I felt like doing was just staying in bed. But I mustered enough energy to get up and get the children going on a few things. Then I layed back down for a little quiet time. My husband came over, gave me a hug, and then said a prayer for me.

A few minutes later, Elaina (18 months) came near and reached her hands up to me. I picked her up thinking she wanted to snuggle. But she quickly squirmed free, gave me a kiss, closed her eyes, and then began to whisper something. After a few minutes, she opened her eyes and said, "AMEN". She had just imitated exactly what my husband had done. I smiled broadly and said a hearty amen back to her. She then went to everyone else in the home and repeated her actions. Elaina was learning to pray by just watching her daddy do what a daddy is supposed to do.

It wasn't textbook for sure but from her heart none the less. What I love most about homeschooling is that when she learned this we were all there to share in her joy. From the oldest down to the youngest each celebrating Elaina's moment. It is in times like these that I thank God all my children are home and their daddy is a Godly man.

"Fathers, when you rise up and when you walk along the path teach these things diligently to your children." Deuteronomy 6:6-9

No comments: