Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Blogging about blogging

R. C. Sproul Jr. posted an article last week about women bloggers that I read at that time and have been pondering ever since. Holly posted about it here as well and then a quite lively discussion took place. I didn't participate in the discussion at that time because I didn't want to look react to his statements and speak too quickly and then later regret what I might have said. So I decided to wait a little while. Then I visited Proverbs Daily and was greeted with his announcement to stop blogging. I knew that God was challenging me and I want to be faithful to what HE directs and not swayed by opinions one way or the other. So I began to pray, study the scripture, and talk with my husband about blogging and the role of women in the blogging world.

Discovering our voice
What I am experiencing in blogging is very similar to what my one year old daughter, Elaina, is experiencing. She is slowly discovering her voice and that words have meaning. Daily new words are being added to her aresenal and with each word a new found pleasure and sense of power and influence. Her personal favorites are "No" and "outside". But it is my job as her mother to train in her to use her words in a way that will edify and encourage others and to build them up in the Lord. Obviously, that is a long term goal. But in the short term I work on little steps like not raising her voice and being quiet even when she wants to speak. These are hard lessons to learn but the self control she learns now will be priceless in her future life.

I must learn similar lessons with blogging. I have a new voice and with each day a potential for fun and influence in the lives of others. But with this new ability I also have a responsibility. I believe that was the point of what R.C. Sproul was saying. As I examine scripture there is a standard to speech that I must observe in the same way that Elaina must learn to observe them.

Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. There are alot of things to blog about but they don't all meet this fundamental standard. There are alot of news stories that are funny but would not be edifying.

In a multitude of words there is sin. (Proverbs 10:19) There are alot of things to blog about but writing about things just for the sake of having something to post is not what blogging is about for me. Elaina babbles on just to hear herself speak and to draw attention to herself. God will hold me accountable for the words that I speak. I don't want them to be idle words just meant to entertain the ears but have little profit for the soul. I desire that my words draw attention to Christ.

But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine...Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. Titus 2 As a woman, God has also given me a high standard for what is acceptable to talk about. They must be fitting for sound doctrine and good and sensible. There are alot of things that go on around my house that could be humorous but they would not be sensible to share in a public forum such as a blog. I don't want to speak of my children or husband in a way that would dishonor them or the Lord. There are alot of news stories that I could share an opinion about but would not be fitting for me as a woman. I will leave that to others.

These are high standards. But as a Christian that is the standard I am called to meet. If you are a faithful reader to this blog please hold me accountable to this standard. I plan on continuing to blog but after studying these verses I think I will more discretion in what I say and how I say it. If you disagree with this standard that's okay there is plenty of room in the blogosphere for women who choose to blog differently. My desire is to be faithful to God and use this blog to glorify Him and edify others. That is what I plan to do.

No comments: