Friday, March 18, 2005

Call no man a fool

John, at blogotional has taken exception to my post on How then Shall We Educate. He said,

When I read Spunky's post I could not help but think of the Sermon On The Mount - Matt 5:22 - But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever shall say to his brother, 'Raca,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever shall say, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

We need to be most judicious when we use scripture to make our point. It is generally wiser to let scripture make a point to us. I am all for Spunky home schooling her kids, even if it is just because she does not like the decor at the public school. There is no need to resort to name -calling to justify it.

An interesting thought John Thank you for taking the time to make it.

In the Mathew 5:22 Jesus was referring to using murder as a means of settling dsiputes. He was raising a higher standard. The pharisees or "ancients" had made the determination that murder was wrong. They felt pretty good about their ruling. Jesus lifted the standard higher and said, "every one who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the supreme court and whoever shall say "You, fool, shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell, if therefore you are presenting your offering at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you leave your offering there before the altar and go your way first and be reconciled"

Jesus was referring to disputes between brothers. In the heat of a disagreement it is easy to resort to name calling. Jesus was equating that to murder. I am not in dispute with my brother nor was identifying the public schools as a "fool" resorting to name calling.

The public schools are not my brother. They are an institution that professes no belief in God and therefore fools. The scripture has made the distinction this is not my opinion.

Jesus made the point throughout the gospels that, as believers, we are called to a higher standard. (He did something similar when he talked about adultery.) It is my responsibility as a parent to instruct my children in the way that they should go. I desire that they walk in wisdom. This is a higher standard. To know who and what is wise is the first step to walking in wisdom. To know who the scripture calls a fool is also helpful because it gives us the discernment necessary to avoid unwise situations.

Psalm 1 states, "How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delght is in the law of the Lord, and in His Laws he meditates day and night."

This is the standard for how my we are to conduct ourselves. I desire for my children to be blessed as well. To meditate on the law of the Lord day and night is a high standard. When I find a span of time that is neither day or night I will consider letting my children meditating on something else!

As far as not liking the decor at the schools I am not sure where that idea came from. I live in a modest 1700 square foot house with three bedrooms. This is shared by eight. We have four daughter sharing one bedroom (ages 16 down to 1) and I would love to have some of the "decor" in the public schools.


No comments: