Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Update on arrested homeschoolers

Here is the original story. Fox News South Carolina local affiliate has an update.

The Chief’s response to the parents’ concerns was this, "I can't say how I would've reacted, I'm a parent also and I've got children too and I understand she was trying to protect the child, I understand that.” Chief Reece also says they responded to the call as they would any other call and that they had no idea this was a group of homeschooled children and their parents. He says the group is welcome at the park and should not be afraid. But the parents say they will not be returning because they are scared of what could happen.

Chief Reece says, “We're looking at all aspects of the case and we're going to let internal affairs division run their investigation and we'll make the appropriate call when it happens. I'm going to do what's right and the city's going to do what's right."
Chief Reece says he expects the investigation to be completed by the end of this week. It’ll be up to the Solicitor whether or not the charges are prosecuted.

Who wouldn't have reacted the way the mother did, when a man is chasing your child and that man is being chased by the police? I hope that the charges are dropped and the officer is put on a desk job for a few years. The mother's eyewitness account is here.

(Update 2/23: WorldNetDaily has picked up the story)

Spunky


No comments: