Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Truth, The Great Motivator

Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the father except through me.

When I am feeling a lack of motivation or discouraged there are many things that I can do to try and get out of the rut. (My children have learned that when I am in "one of those moods" a trip to Starbucks is needed!) But like coffee, most appeal to my immediate need without addressing the long term need for changes. So what does motivate us to change our habits.

The truth is the only way to get people to move from their comfort zone to demand a better way. But that supposes that we are a people who want to hear the truth.

Apathy comes when we aren't confronted with the truth.

Anger comes when we are confronted with the truth and are challenged to make a choice that will cost us more than we are willing to pay.

Action comes when we are confronted with truth and are willing to change course despite the cost.

When I am discouraged the truth is usually what I am most resistant to but have the greatest need for. Unlike coffee, the truths can be painful at first but it is the only thing that will bring about lasting refreshment.

Spunky

No comments: