Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The "heart" parts of homeschooling

One of the joys for me as a homeschooling mom is to watch a new mom experience the joy of teaching her children.

A few months ago I met a woman who expressed dissatisfaction with the her young son's reading progress. I encouraged her to think about homeschooling. She said she had thought about it but her demeanor communicated that she didn't feel all that confident in her abilities. She thought it was too hard for her. It was nearing the Christmas break so I told her I'd bring over a phonics book for her to work with her son over the holiday season. I gave her a brief tutorial on how the program worked. She said she'd give it a try.

Yesterday, I checked back in with her and the joy in her voice was contagious. She told me how she has been working with her son and that he had begun to read. She was surprised that it wasn't as hard as she thought and how natural it felt. She was thankful that the memory of teaching her son to read, is one she will cherish the rest of her life.

There are so many seemingly difficult parts of homeschooling that could shake our confidence. But like this mother found out the "hard" parts if we are patient usually turn into the "heart" parts.

Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap a harvest if we do not grow weary. Galatians 6:9


1 comment:

John said...

Yes Spunky,

One of the greatest rewards is helping another family with homeschool. Just when you are about to give up, someone calls and says "you might not remember me, but some time ago I called you and you encouraged me to home school my child. I am calling to say that my child is doing great and I wanted you to know how thankful I am!" I have not received these calls personally, but my homeschool wife does quite often. Having homeschooled over 22 years, led a homeschool support group, and taught 8 children of her own, she has had these calls many times. When I come home, she tells of how these calls encourage her and she knows that she is doing her God given mission. Homeschooling is tough, but the blessings are eternal.

Rooky Webmaster