Monday, January 24, 2005

ART of Homeschooling (A is for Attitude)

When God spoke about my attitude being the first priority I began to do a scriptural search on what my attitude was to be. The first scripture I landed upon was Phillipians 2:6 which states "Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant."

So my attitude was to be that of a servant. This didn't seem much of a new revelation to me. Jesus laid down HIS life so I must also. As a homeschool mother serving just seemed like it came with the territory. Being a servant is one thing but what is my attitude supposed to be as I serve?

In 1 Timothy 6:6 we read "Godliness with contentment is great gain." Serving our family and homeschooling our children is a very noble and Godly pursuit but is our heart content while we are serving? This scripture shows very clearly that great gain is from serving with contentment. If serving isn't hard enough some days God is clearly saying I must do it with contentment. Contentment isn't just being cheerful. It is a heart at peace knowing that what your are doing right now is exactly what you should be doing over any other activity. Meaning given any choices this is what you would choose.

Contentment robbers come in various forms but two that are particular to homeschoolers are bitterness and jealousy.

Bitterness has at it's root a self-centered heart. We become bitter when we feel as though we are being unjustly treated or neglected. The easiest target of our bitterness is our husband. We read a book about how our marriage or family is "supposed" to be and when we look around we see a family that falls way short. Of course, this is all our husbands fault if he were just...more godly,...home more often....a bigger help....more nurturing...more spiritual...our home would not be this way. When I find myself becoming bitter, I must turn my eyes from the book and look back into THE BOOK which states in James, "fixing our eyes on Jesus the author and finisher of our faith who for the joy set before Him endured the cross". My husband is not perfect just as I am not perfect and when I begin to get bitter it is because my focus has shifted from Christ to my own selfish ways or desires. This bitter root, if allowed to fester, will rob us of the contentment we need to carry out the tasks of our calling as homeschoolers.

I will in my next post turn to the jealousy as an attitude robber.

Grace and Peace,
Spunky



No comments: